For more information click here: FOR_Forest_Economics_and_Policy_Position
The National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) is hosting an image competition called EnvisioNano. FS is an active party of the NNI because of our cellulose nanomaterials work. NNI is also very interested in cellulose nanomaterials development globally and have actively worked with us on mutually beneficial topics. This is a high visibility competition. I thought it can help with our members’ research.
Scion specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
We are seeking a self-motivated and driven individual with an interest in forestry and forest ecology to play a vital role in the delivery of our research in the Forest Science Group based in Christchurch.
You will assist with the establishment and maintenance of experimental field trials (including chemical spray trials), general fieldwork and data collection, and the clearing and sorting of beetle traps, while ensuring compliance with Scion’s Health and Safety Policy.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding teamwork, planning and communication skills;
- Experience with field trials, undertaking fieldwork and forest assessments;
- A general forest ecology background or qualifications is preferred but not mandatory;
- A willingness to work with pesticides, chemicals and to undertake necessary training to become a certified chemical handler;
- A reasonable level of fitness to carry out field work that can sometimes be physically demanding;
- A drivers licence and willingness to travel overnight if required;
- The ability and confidence to drive on forestry roads, with experience in forest operations is preferred;
- A commitment to achieve excellence in all aspects of their role;
- Excellent time management skills;
- A current chainsaw certificate and first aid certificate (preferred); and,
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Word/Excel, or equivalents, for data entry purposes.
Scion presents talented and ambitious individuals the unique opportunity to pursue a fulfilling professional career at the heart of New Zealand’s forest industry.
Closing Date: Monday 29 February 2016
For further information and to apply online, please refer to our website:
From: Michelle Littleton, HR Generalist
Subject: Plant Quality Supervisor II (Salaried Exempt)
Implement and manage quality systems and lead continuous improvement activity. Ensure quality and technical objectives are properly deployed. Supervise activities and training of quality technicians.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform all work in accordance with safety rules and regulations and participate in facility health & safety activities as assigned.
• Be pro-active in identifying and performing tasks to maintain and improve safety, quality and environmental performance.
• Ensure SOPs and JSAs exist and are updated for all quality tasks. Ensure required training for Quality Technicians is completed and documented according to policies.
• Manage a large scope of work, volume of activity, and direct reports.
• Manage scope of project work, analysis, or report writing.
• Provide safety, quality, and environmental training for Quality Technicians.
• Lead process and product tests/trials as assigned. Compile, analyze, and report trial test results as required.
• Define and implement procedures to support quality initiatives. Establish and maintain a comprehensive program that will ensure consistent product quality under certifying agency guidelines.
• Ensure plant compliance with all internal product specifications, and corporate quality policies.
• Manage quality systems to assure consistent process and product performance while maintaining maximum production and safe work habits.
• Manage plant calibration and verification schedules for process and lab instruments. Lead and deploy process optimization (cost reduction, new technology, etc.), statistical analysis, continuous process improvement, and experimental design.
• Support and assist in troubleshooting sources of Special Cause variation.
• Supervise work activities for plant Quality Technicians.
• Train, coach, and assist in the development of plant Quality Technicians.
• Manage quality records, databases, and controlled documents in accordance with corporate record retention policies.
• Manage and maintain quality records and databases in compliance with business, corporate, and certifying agency requirements.
• Generate routine quality reports for internal communication.
• Assist in the plant quality self-assessment.
• Assume responsibilities of Quality Manager in their absence.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of quality system.
• Thorough knowledge of LP and quality policies & standards
• Knowledge of manufacturing processes, equipment and basic mechanical ability.
• Knowledge of customer requirements, installation requirements, compliance regulations, quality processes and procedures.
• Skill in leading, planning, coaching, training, and supervising. Ability to hold people accountable.
• Skill in data analysis and troubleshooting.
• Knowledge and understanding of statistical process controls.
• Proven ability to design experiments to investigate product attributes or qualities/conditions.
• Strong computer spreadsheet software and software skills
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Proven ability to operate job related equipment and tools.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects.
• Proven ability to operate a computer and supporting software.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
• Proven ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
• Proven ability to document process changes and their effects.
• Bachelor’s degree in Forest Products, Engineering, Wood Science or related field preferred.
• ASQ Certification, Lean Six Sigma Training, or other applicable training desirable.
• Adequate combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities
• 5+ years quality related experience
• Manufacturing experience desirable.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• The lab and manufacturing environment includes exposure to moving parts, fumes, chemicals, airborne particles and high temperatures.
• The employee must have the ability to climb, bend, stoop, kneel, work in inclement weather, and work with elevated noise levels.
• The position requires the ability to frequently lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
LP offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including health and welfare benefits, 401(k) program, career mobility, tuition reimbursement, volunteer opportunities, profit sharing and more.
The College of Forestry (forestry.oregonstate.edu) at Oregon State University seeks an Associate Dean/Director for Research. To encourage the broadest pool of qualified candidates, this position is being recruited as either an academic rank with tenure position (Associate Dean) or as a professional faculty position with annual appointments (Director). The incumbent is responsible for leading the strategic development and execution of innovative, effective, and respected research programs that support the regional, national and international distinction of the College of Forestry. With a primary focus on research and university/private partnerships, the incumbent provides timely, cost effective, and knowledgeable support for obtaining, managing and coordinating the organizational resources necessary to conduct the forestry and natural resources-related research activities that help achieve the mission of the College, the Forest Research Laboratory, and the Institute for Working Forest Landscapes.
To apply and for the full position description, visit https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/21095. To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by March 15, 2016. Please refer questions to Adrienne Wonhof in the Dean’s Office, 541-737-4279, Adrienne.Wonhof@oregonstate.edu.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Well, another month has passed as we move forward with an exciting year. Next month is the 59th International SWST Convention in Curitiba, Brazil. We have articles coming out in Wood and Fiber Science that are cutting edge in the field. Speaking of that, have you signed up to be a reviewer? If not you can do that here. Kepp and eye and and I am sure there is more to come.
As always, if you have something you would like to put in the newsletter, just send it to me at email@example.com and I will be happy to include it.