Student Poster Competition Guidelines and Procedures
The purpose of the Student Poster Competition is to:
1. Encourage student membership and participation in FPS and/or SWST
2. Encourage student attendance at the FPS/SWST Annual Convention
3. Recognize excellence in student research, and
4. Improve the visibility of student research efforts
The competition is to be held on Sunday, June 9, 2013 from 5:00 to 7:00 during the Technical Poster Session of the International Convention, AT&T Education and Conference Center, Salons A, B, D, E.
All undergraduate and graduate students who are members of FPS or SWST may participate. There should be no coauthors on the poster session; however, faculty sponsors and funding agencies should be identified in both the abstract and poster display
Before the competition, students will be presented a Certificate of Participation to display on their posters.
First place: $750 and a first place plaque
Second place: $550 and a second place plaque
Third place: $350 and a third place plaque
Fourth place: $150 and a fourth place plaque.
Winners will be announced at the Opening Reception on Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm in the Interior Courtyard and Tejas Dining Room of the AT&T Education and Conference Center. All participants will be announced in one of the FPS and SWST publications.
Posters can be set up anytime during the morning, June 9, 2013. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE AT YOUR POSTER DURING THE POSTER SESSION TIME OF 5:00 to 7:00 pm. The abstracts and poster presentations will be evaluated by a committee of 4 judges on a 100-point scale:
1. Soundness of research hypothesis (10 points)
2. Scientific writing ability (10 points)
3. Organization (10 points)
1. Scientific merit (newness, breadth of interest, potential impact of the research) (15 points)
2. Experimental design and thoroughness of investigation (15 points)
3. Validity of conclusions (15 points)
4. Organization and visual quality of presentation (15 points)
5. Response to questions of judges (10 points)
The chair of the Education Committee will have overall responsibility for the competition including selecting judges. Judges will not assess student posters on whose committees they serve. The chair of the judging committee does not vote except when one of the other judges is exempted. Posters will be presented in English.
NOTE: You must be a member of FPS or SWST who has paid their annual dues in order to participate in the Competition. You must also pay the Convention Registration fee.