Tuesday, June 9, 2015
16:15 to 19:15 (4:15 to 7:15 p.m.)
The purpose of the Student Poster Competition is to:
- Encourage student membership and participation in SWST
- Encourage student attendance at the SWST Annual Convention
- Recognize excellence in student research, and
- Improve the visibility of student research efforts
The competition will be held on Wednesday, June 10, 2015, from 15:00 to 18:00 (3:00 to 6:00 p.m.) during the Technical Poster Session of the International Convention. All undergraduate and graduate students who are members of SWST may participate. There should be no coauthors on the poster session; however, faculty sponsors and funding agencies should be identified in both the abstract and poster display
Before the competition, students will be presented a Certificate of Participation to display on their posters.
First place: $500 and a first place plaque
Second place: $250 and a second place plaque
Third place: $125 and a third place plaque
Winners will be announced at the Closing Ceremony Banquet. All participants will be announced in one of the SWST publications.
To apply, a student must submit the following materials to the SWST Executive Director by November 15, 2014.
- A membership application form for SWST and payment for annual dues (if not already a member).
- A Student Poster Competition application form.
- One electronic copy of 250-word maximum abstract. The abstract should identify the title, author and affiliation, and contain a single spaced narrative giving the purpose and significance of the research, a summary of procedures, and the most important results. Faculty sponsors and funding agencies should also be listed. The abstract will be considered as part of the judging criteria.
Student Travel Grants
The SWST Student Travel Grant Program provides partial support for travel expenses to attend the 2015 SWST International Convention. Students selected for support under this grant program will be expected to present a research poster at the Convention. Each grant will consist of an award up to $500 with up to ten grants to be awarded.
Posters can be set up anytime beginning Monday, June 8, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. but before the competition on June 9. Posters must be removed by end of the day on June 12, 2015.
The abstracts and poster presentations will be evaluated by a committee of 4 judges (the Chair of the Education Center and three others) on a 100-point scale:
1. Soundness of research hypothesis (10 points)
2. Scientific writing ability (10 points)
3. Organization (10 points)
1. Scientific merit (newness, breadth of interest, potential impact of the research) (15 points)
2. Experimental design and thoroughness of investigation (15 points)
3. Validity of conclusions (15 points)
4. Organization and visual quality of presentation (15 points)
5. Response to questions of judges (10 points)
The chair of the Education Committee will have overall responsibility for the competition including selecting judges. Judges will not assess student posters on whose committees they serve. The chair of the judging committee does not vote except when one of the other judges is exempted. Posters will be presented in English.
NOTE: You must be a member of SWST who has paid their 2015 dues of $35 and has registered for the convention in order to participate in the Competition.